Thursday, 20 Aug 2026

DOJ opens new pathway to restore federal gun rights for certain barred individuals

Attorney General Todd Blanche launched a new process for Americans barred from possessing firearms to apply for restoration of their federal gun rights.


DOJ opens new pathway to restore federal gun rights for certain barred individuals

Under a final rule issued by Blanche, applicants must establish the circumstances of their prohibition, as well as show that they are not likely to pose a danger to public safety.

"Absent extraordinary circumstances, violent felons, registered sex offenders, illegal aliens, and other individuals who present an ongoing danger will remain presumptively ineligible for relief," the agency said. "Any relief granted under the rule removes only applicable federal firearms disabilities and does not override independent restrictions imposed by state law."

The National Rifle Association (NRA) told Fox News Digital that it has long championed the restoration of Second Amendment rights for individuals who paid their debts to society and who are not demonstrably dangerous to public safety. 

"NRA submitted extensive comments in response to the original proposal to ensure the process was fair, accessible, and consistent with the underlying statute," the group said in a statement. "While the final rule falls short on a few of these suggestions, it is an important step in the right direction. As ever, we will continue our advocacy to ensure no American is unduly deprived of the right to keep and bear arms."

Kris Brown, president of Brady: United Against Gun Violence, a gun control advocacy group, said the organization was reviewing the rule. 

The group said it hopes Blanche prioritizes "American lives over gun lobby profits."

Monday's announcement is another win for gun-rights advocates.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) established a $200 tax on silencers, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns and other firearms that also required additional federal registration to obtain.

"Our court victory against NFA registration is the greatest Second Amendment legal win in American history," U.S. Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., wrote on X last week.

Fox News Digital's Elizabeth Elkind contributed to this report.

you may also like

World's largest motorcycle rally roars into Sturgis as bikers flood tiny US town
  • by foxnews
  • descember 09, 2016
World's largest motorcycle rally roars into Sturgis as bikers flood tiny US town

The 86th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is drawing 500,000 riders to South Dakota's Black Hills with Lainey Wilson headlining and new Harley-Davidson debuts.

read more